2) The smell of the lotion and spray are really good, kind of like the Hawaiian Tropic tanning oil my mom used when I was a kid and perpetually makes me think of summer. As it develops it does smell a little like standard tanning lotions, but barely (really!) It doesn’t smell anywhere near as bad as anything I have tried before and that is why I traditionally haven’t used self tanners on a consistent. It really just smells like coconuts and yumminess.
3) I used a homemade body scrub before applying this (sugar and olive oil), but you can use the one they sell, too (I really want to try it!)
4) Out of the shower I applied lotion only to those parts you want to be careful with, such as hands, feet, elbows, knees, etc. You don’t want to apply lotion on anything else as this will dilute the tan (this may be a good idea if you want something more gradual.)
5) I started from my feet and worked my way up. I sprayed, then blended with the brush. The brush is really fun! It keeps your palms from getting tanned and is great for blending hard to reach areas. I also liked that the spray went on like a bronzer, so I could see areas I missed and needed to fix.
6) I did my hands last and sprayed a teeny, tiny amount right on the brush and blended on just the top part. Be careful to wash your “trigger” finger as that will get tanner on it from the sprayer and you will get a tan finger from this!
For my face I applied the Tan Icon Extreme lotion after I washed my face at night. I have to apply that more since I use a Clarisonic knock off to exfoliate. I apply it every three days or so. It is a really nice lotion and makes my skin feel really soft in the morning, bonus!
7) All in all, I was really satisfied with this self tanner. It is a little bit more than I have paid before, but I haven’t liked anything else in the past either, so how much money have I wasted on half used bottles of the cheap stuff? I liked the size of the bottles I got and think they will probably last awhile. I really, really like having color. I feel like a new person!
8) Something I need to mention! I used the Extreme Tan on my face right before I went to bed last night and when I woke up I had some tan marks on my hands since I sleep with my hands touching my face. I would wash your face and apply the Icon face lotion maybe an hour or so before laying down to avoid this.
Also, I was a little overzealous and reapplied to my legs and they are really tan, as in a week in the tropics tan. You don’t need to go back and apply more with the Extreme, once is enough with proper blending and barrier lotion applied to feet, ankles, knees, etc. There was no noticeable streaking either, a first for me and self tanners!
9) Lastly! Next time I am going to order the Regular Tan Icon in the lotion as I want to have a comparison between that and the Extreme, as well as the comparison between the spray and the lotion. I will do another review on that whenever I finish the Extreme spray.
If you want to try Million Dollar Tan out you can use the code becauseofjackie20 for 20% off your purchase!
And now for a before and after shot of the pale me versus the tan me. This was taken before I showered, so it is a bit more intense than real life and my feet aren’t as dark as they appear below.