Let’s talk wardrobe staples, shall we? I know I am always interested in what other folks wear on a daily basis and where they get these pieces. I love really fun outfits and unique looks, but the reality for me is that I have a lot of basic items that I mix and match together. I don’t typically spend a lot and like to get a lot for little. Below are some of the items I am loving right now.
I get the most use out of colorful, cotton tops. Target is my go to source for inexpensive shirts that feel really good against the skin. Love Target!
1) A grey tee (mine is made from sweatshirt material) is the most versatile color. It is a great neutral and looks great with everything. I love dressing it up as well, half tucked into a skirt or pants and paired with fun heels. Madewell also has great (more expensive), basic tee’s.
2) I love a shirt with stripes as they are perfect for experimenting with pattern mixing and add interest to an outfit. This tee is also a peplum top and can be dressed up or down.
3) Every girl needs a slouchy, soft tank in their wardrobe to wear with jean shorts or a long maxi skirt (or anything!) I have this is three colors and live in it. Layer it with a cozy cardigan in the Spring or over a bathing suit in the summer.
4) I love a simple tee in a bright color that fits perfectly. Bonus if it is a neon pink (or yellow, too!) I wear this top often and it mixes well with everything. It fits not too tight and not too loose, my favorite fit.
5) Graphic black and white print tops (stars, polka dots, stripes, etc…) are a great addition as they work with all types of bottoms and also look fun with patterns. I wear this top with my camo pants and my black and white striped maxi skirt a lot.
Let’s talk skirts and shorts, shall we? These are what I live in during the hot summer months and I tend to find favorites and wear them to death.
1) Every girl needs an a line skirt that sits at their natural waist. This chambray one is a great neutral and looks fun with flat sandals and a grey tee as well as a fun wedges and a slinky tank top.
2) Another a line skirt that is a favorite of mine, but this time it is in stripes. I have a long maxi skirt in a wider stripe that I also wear to death. I like to wear my star print top with this and it looks fun with the different patterns.
3) Last summer I learned that bandage skirts are really comfortable and instantly make me feel cooler. I have them in several colors (only $5.95 at H&M!) and they look the best with a slouchy tank half tucked and flat gladiator sandals. For a date night I will throw on wedges and fun accessories to dress it up.
4) Shorts that have a fun pattern are a fun way to jazz up the shorts look, but still be comfortable and easy. I love the polka dot pattern of these and have a similar pair in floral. I am also loving the denim ones I see out there with crochet detailing.
5) My favorite pair of denim shorts are from the J Crew outlet two years ago and they were a bit more expensive than I typically pay ($50), but have been worth it. They are the perfect denim color, faded and pale blue and look great with everything. My go to look in summer are these shorts, a slouchy tank and fun sandals/accessories.
Dresses are my favorite when the weather heats up. They don’t cling and the one piece is the easiest way to look pulled together without a lot of effort. Again, Target is is my favorite place to shop for dresses. They are inexpensive and always have a really soft feel and fun details.
1) Maxi dresses are the best, they hide things you don’t want to show and make you feel cute, always. I like to buy them in neutrals, but this striped one is fun, too.
2) I love a simple, black cotton dress. My go to one is from Target and has a high/low hemline. I have worn it casual with sandals and dressed up with heels for a dinner out.
3) A tank style dress in a bright color is another favorite of mine. I got mine through Stylemint last summer and it is lightweight, has a cool shark bite hemline and is another option that I dress down and up often. I am currently looking for one similar to this is bright yellow.
4) For a more pulled together look, I love a dress/tunic with a silkier/dressier fabric and a fun print. Chevron is one of my favorite prints (mine is from Stitchfix!) and this dress has a belt that cinches the waist in. I love it.
This section makes me laugh because after I cleaned out my closet last week and saw that the pants I really love are all from Zara! I paid a bit more for each than I pay for anything else I buy (probably $60 a pair), but worth it as I wear them often and they go with multiple items in my closet. I love patterned or printed pants because they can be paired with simpler pieces and look cool with little to no effort.
1) I’m sure you recognize these pants (similar) from multiple blog posts! They have a great fit and I have worn these so many ways; with a simple grey tee, dressed up with peplum and heels, or paired with another pattern. I don’t think the camo trend is fading any time soon, so these should work well into the next year.
2) I adore polka dots! These pants are fun because they are a blue jean color, which makes them work with anything traditional denim works with. I like that I can add another print or pattern on top (floral, stripes, etc…)
3) I am a big proponent of boyfriend jeans. They look amazing in a casual look and equally as good with a dressy top and amazing heels. I always pack these pants for vacations because they literally work in every situation.
P.S I am adding these to my closet next!
I love how a jacket or cardigan can add a layer (literally) of interest to each outfit. If you need to wear a cardigan or jacket, I think patterns are a great way to add a fun element to any outfit. That being said, having basics in your closet are always worth it. Denim jacket, trench coat, camel colored wool jacket, these pieces are always worth having. Another one of my most used cardigans is mustard color and it looks great with everything. I love a fun printed one as ell to go with my more basic colored outfits.
1) I have searched a long time for a good jean jacket. It had to be the right color, the right fitted shape, the right length. I found mine at H&M a month ago and have worn it everywhere. I especially like it over dresses or with my patterned pants.
2) This striped cardigan (similar) was from Forever 21 a year ago and was so cheap ($10!) I wear it with everything. It is the perfect color and pattern and jazzes up every outfit I wear it with. Black and white is the easiest color pattern to wear with other patterns and instantly looks effortless.
3) Another Forever 21 find, this sheer, flowy cardigan has a pretty swiss dot pattern and is my favorite thing to throw on over a dress or top when going out. I like to have a dressier option to wear over dresses or tanks if I don’t want to be chilly or expose too much.
Oh, shoes! I adore buying shoes, wearing shoes and thinking of wearing shoes. They are one of the best ways (outside accessories) for adding a fun element to an outfit. Again, Target is my favorite place to shop at as they always have the trends you see at larger stores, but for way cheaper.
1) I think everyone needs a pair of metallic heels. They act as a neutral and really look great with everything, from a little black dress to ripped boyfriend jeans. I am a big fan of the pointy toe heel look, it is really flattering on the foot.
2) Bright, colorful sandals are my downfall and I tend to buy a lot of these (usually $19.99 and under) to wear in the summer.
3) I love simple brown sandals because they look pretty on the foot and they ground a look that can be a bit more out there (tons of pattern or color.) I also love these with white jeans and a grey top, very neutral and pretty.
4) Another favorite is a fun pair of flats in a trendy color or pattern. These camo printed ones are fun and were cheap ($14.99) and I get a lot of compliments when I wear them. Just don’t wear them fro 12 hours in Disney, your feet will hate you.
5) I think that simple wedges in a neutral color are great for Summer because they look fantastic with everything mentioned above and give you the casual/cool look that every girl wants (or at least I do!)
Last but not least, accessories. I think this is the easiest way to update your wardrobe without spending a lot of money. I think Forever 21 is the best place to buy trendy jewelry and accessory items because they are uber cheap, but I also like supporting small businesses on Etsy and getting something really unique.
1&2) If you have been following me on Instagram or reading the blog for the past month or so you would know I am currently obsessed with headbands. I love wearing them hippie style across my forehead and think they look cute in a fun, casual way. Lemons and Lace and Much Love Illy have really unique ones that I love.
3) Dangly, triangle shape earrings are a fun way to jazz up an updo or wear when you have a more intricate neckline. I am more of a necklace wearer, so when I saw these (at Forever 21!) I thought they would be a fun change for me.
4) I really like different kinds of rings I can wear on my right hand that are inexpensive and can be changed with my moods. My current love is these spike ones and I adore midi rings, too.
5) I think a gold (or rose gold in my case) boyfriend style watch always looks good, no matter what you are wearing.
6&7) My favorite style of necklace to wear right now is a long pendant necklace. You can layer them with shorter ones and they always look a little bit effortless and chic to me. I love my triangle one and turquoise pendant the best.
Okay, so that was a lot! This is a little bit of what I have in rotation right now in my wardrobe. I recently cleaned out my closet (it was a massive clean out!) and I am left with only what I love. I try to only buy things that I can wear at least three different ways and splurge only on items I feel will get worn a lot. My tees and tanks are less expensive, my pants are more expensive and everything else falls in the middle. Some of the things I showed above have been in my closet/jewelry box for a long time and were worth the price, other things are replaced season by season. I think that if you have been reading my blog for awhile you can probably recognize a lot of the pieces in these pictures. I am a casual dresser and rarely have to get too dressed up, though I really like to! I stay at home with my kids and my goal is to be comfortable and feel good in what I have one. If I am happy, my family is happy, right?