First of all, Happy New Year! I stayed up this year (yay for me!) and rang in the New Year tucked in my cozy, flannel and fleece lined bed with my husband. Perfection in my opinion;) Earlier in the evening we hung out with good friends, eating mini pizzas, handfuls of peanut m&m’s and counted down to approx. 8:30pm with all the kids, with a toast of sparkling grape juice for all. It’s the little things that make me happy, and having those I love around me is the best. Also, I’m so thankful for great friends who welcome you in and immediately make you feel at home. No pretenses, no facades, just pure comfort and fun.
On to January and my goals! I am not making huge personal resolutions this year, just mini, monthly goals that will hopefully bring me to a place this time next year where I have improved little by little in all the aspects that need it. I also wanted to show how I did the previous month and where I succeeded (and failed.) Let’s start!
December Goals (how did I do?)
1) I want to work on increasing my patience this month with the kids.
In some ways I did improve on this goal. I’m working on ways in which I communicate with my son (who has a severe stubborn streak!) and finding ways to help him work through this. This is a, take two steps forward, one step back kind of goal, but I AM working on it. Daily.
2) I want to put my phone down from 4 to 7pm during the month of December.
This works well during school days, it creates a time where I am shut off from the world and my focus is entirely on my kids and husband. I plan on keeping up with this in January, as well as not using social media at all Sat-Sun nights. I hate being the person who always has their phone in front of their face and this is helping me.
3) I want to work out at least twice a week this month.
Well, this did not work;) The last two weeks of the year were a no go for working out, but I did eat fairly well and plan on heading back to the gym when school resumes next week and our lives are a bit more regulated.
4) Finish all of my holiday planning and to do list stuff by December 15th!
I did finish everything by December 17th and it felt so good to have everything done before Christmas Eve! I plan on doing this again next year (though I’ll never be a finish everything in September girl. Ever.)
5) Bake Christmas cookies with the kids. And make this little treat for them on Christmas morning! We’ve already set a cookie date for this weekend.
We baked two sets of cookies for Santa (ate one early!) and made peppermint bark and had amazing food on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Love spending the holidays in our jammies and being completely casual and low key.
6) Learn how to edit my photos with Photoshop and better my photography skills through tutorials and online classes.
I debated back and forth on getting Photoshop this year and decided the learning curve was a bit steep for me right now. I upgraded my Picmonkey account to the Royale feature and it is something I am comfortable with using for now. I also got a new remote for my camera so I can take clearer pictures with my tripod alone.
1) Create a blog series that will run once a month that focuses on a subject that interests YOU. I put out a question on Facebook and found that you want to learn how to dress cute and comfortably as a stay at home mom (or college student, anyone in a casual working environment, working mom, etc!) I love creating content that focuses on what you need and this is pretty exciting for me to put together and publish.
2) Sign up my daughter for dance class. She loves to dance and sing and I want to help her flourish in this area. I am a HUGE procrastinator and this has been on my to do list for awhile.
3) Clean out my closet (again) and wear more of what is in it and NOT just the same items over and over again. I have a lot of fun things, but they get pushed into the back and if I don’t see them I don’t wear them. On that note, I also plan on only shopping with income from this blog. I have been doing this for the past two months and it really makes me evaluate what I purchase and if I really need it.
4) Find ways to be more useful and helpful to those around me, whether it be through this space or in my daily life. This includes saying yes to my kids more, doing what I can to make my husband’s life a little better, as well as begin a better friend/daughter/person in general.
5) Be more intentional with my Instagram account. I find that the accounts of those I love the most tend to have a theme or a more intentional post message. I love this!
Tell me, what are some of your goals for January? How do you plan on realizing these goals?