I was reading InStyle magazine the other day (the September issue with Julia Roberts on the cover, her photos inside are what I’m tearing out for hair inspiration the next time I go to the salon…), and I saw that one of the newest hairstyles is a deep side part, with one side bobby pinned or braided out of the way. (Page 457, if you want the shortcut!) I’ve always been a middle part kind of gal, but sometimes you need to switch it up. I love that this look is an easy way to look on trend, yet is so simple to do. I just deeply side parted by hair, and then bobby pinned one side against my nape and over to my opposite shoulder to keep it out of the way. I finished it off with a little hairspray to keep it in place, and BOOM, done. What made me feel extra awesome about this look? I follow Rachel Zoe on Instagram and this hairstyle is what she has been wearing all fashion week. Not to mention a look similar to the one above. CLEARLY we should be sisters now;)
On another note, do you need an excuse to go to Target now? I’ll literally walk in there for any simple thing and leave $100 poorer (insert crying emoji face), but right now if you buy any TWO September issues of either InStyle, Elle or Vogue magazine, you get a $5 Target gift card back. I purchased mine last week (this deal is on till 9/13), and I’m hoarding my gift card for something fun. If you HAPPEN to be looking for something to spend your gift card on, the nude peep toe shoes I have above are my current fave. I’ve worn them every day this week and I am always surprised by how flattering they are. They blend in and elongate your leg line, and who doesn’t want THAT?
Lastly, September just happens to be the Superbowl of fashion season, and the magazines are the best of the best in terms of what is new. I love reading the bible sized September issues to see what is coming up next, and how I can tweak my look to stay current and on trend. Here are some simple and inexpensive ways you can switch up you look this season:
5 trends to try this Fall (according to InStyle!)
1) Winterize a summer look! As much as I love my nude peep toe booties above, I can’t wait to throw on a pair of black tights and tough ankle boots with this exact dress and sweater. I don’t like to put away my more summery dresses as the weather cools, so I intend to just layer them up with cozy sweaters and edgier boots.
2) Accessorize with a pair of ear cuffs, or wear two different earrings at once! I KNOW, this sounds crazy, but why always wear the same pair of earrings when you can wear two? I like mixing and matching a stud in one ear with a hoop or tassel earring in the other. Or why not sweep your hair to the side and show off an amazing winged ear cuff? In the season where we mostly cover ourselves up, sometimes a statement earring can take you from boring to awesome in one easy step.
3) Mix different shades of white! We all know you CAN wear white after Labor Day, right? Other than some seriously summer fabrics (linen?), white is a great color to wear year round. Try layering your white shades, like a cream colored sweater over a bright white dress, or beige over ecru. I have a long white maxi dress with crochet details that I can’t wait to wear with a cream cardigan and ankle boots this Fall.
4) Fun manicures are another way to add some coolness to a look without breaking the bank. I like a reverse French look (think navy blue with gold tips), clear with silver tips, or strategically placed black lines.
5) Add in a color of the moment, like aubergine (the fancy pants way of saying eggplant!) Perhaps a great midi sweater dress, a bold studded bag, or more subtly, like a deep purple (reverse french) manicure. I love this rich color next to a great leopard print, either shoes or a faux fur coat, as well as when it’s paired with either a soft blush or a bright cobalt blue. And if you really want to make a statement, a deep purple-y red lip color is a great way to bring in the colder weather (one of my faves!)
Now tell me, do you love reading the September issues? Which trend above would YOU try?