Our book club started back up this past weekend, and I couldn’t be happier! Mixing two of my favorite things, (reading + hanging out with some of my favorite ladies), is something that I look forward to each month. For those that know me well, reading is my life. It is as essential to me as breathing and an activity that I prioritize. I don’t watch a lot of TV, but I do read about 5 books a week, and that makes me a very happy girl. I read a lot of different types of books, but my favorite is a good ‘ol fashioned romance novel. These kind of books can get a lot of backlash. (I see you side eying me…;) Some think they are throwaway books, or not “real” fiction, or that they’re silly, but I love them! I also really enjoy historical fiction, biographies, and anything that is getting hype on the NYT Best seller’s list…but romance is my true love;)
Here are the some of the best books I’ve read lately, and what’s in my queue to read NEXT:
Note: No laughing at some of these titles! Romance novelists are very, um, cleverwith their titles. Ha.
1) Scoring Wilder by R.S. Grey This was a great romance with a strong female lead (love that), who happens to be a dedicated soccer star. I love reading sports romance, but having the lead female as the athlete was a great twist for me. Also recommend With This Heart and The Allure of Julian LeFray, both by the same author. The first is really heartfelt, the second was literally laugh out loud funny.
2) Wild Reckless by Ginger Scott This is probably one of my favorite romances I’ve read this year, with a lot of twists and turns and a lot of angst, I guess you could say. There are some serious issues in this book that the author wrote about really well, and the love story was very in depth and emotional.
3) Hollywood Dirt by Allessandra Torre I read about this author first in an article in Elle magazine once, about how she burst onto the e-book writing scene and quickly became a best selling author. I was intrigued and looked her up immediately! She writes some pretty raunchy erotica stuff typically I (…hey, I like that, too!), but this one was more tame. The lead was strong, really funny, and didn’t let the guy walk all over her, something I look for in a romance. I recommend.
4) Sacked by Jen Frederick The cover on this one is pretty funny, but the story itself was really good! I have Kindle Unlimited, which lets me get books from their Unlimited category for $9.99 a month, and this was one that caught my eye. I’m so glad I read it! It’s a sports romance (I’ve been on a roll with those), with a bit of a twist. Knox may be my new book boyfriend after reading this…
5) Sloth by Ella James This book had a lot of intrigue, and you never actually figured out what was going on until the very end, but the secret was worth it! I love the characters, I enjoyed trying to figure out all the secrets involved, and the romance portion was really hot.
Currently reading: The Air He Breathes by Brittany Cherry This is about two people who have faced loss and how they deal with it. The writing is really beautiful and the emotions heartfelt. I love it so far.
What I’m reading next!
1) The Dressmaker by Rosalie Ham This is our book club book for next month and I can’t wait to dig in!
2) Still Alice by Lisa Genova I have a friend that is reading this for her book club, and I am intrigued. I love reading books that become movies, but reading the book and understanding it before seeing the movie is pretty important to me. Books are always better, ha!
4) Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen I went through all the books by this author at the library this Spring and Summer pretty hard. I know she is considered a YA author, but those are often my favorite types of books to read (and the first place I look when I go to the library.) Her characters are always so nuanced and different, and I love how she tells stories. This is her newest and I’ve been waiting for it to arrive at my library so I can read it.
5) The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah I’ve been eyeing this book for awhile and plan to dig in soon. I’m always a little behind the curve when it comes to reading stuff right when it comes out, but this one seems too good to miss.
Tell me, what do YOU like to read? Any recommendations for me?
Shop this post: