I’ve been kind of tossing an idea around in my head the past couple of weeks, it started out with a thought of a post and snowballed into a theme that I want to try for the next year. I’ve seen people pick a word for the New Year and I’ve always been intrigued, but never thought of one that fit, you know? The other day I was laying in bed (I’ve had a sinus infection, so my bed and I have been best friends, ugh), and a word just came to me out of the blue:
Originally I was going to write a blog post about the thought of simplicity versus abundance, and how as I’ve gotten older I’ve simplified so many things in my life and learned that less is often more. Here’s what I like about simplicity:
It can be applied to all aspects of my life, from cleaning out all the things I’ve been holding on to, to not shopping for unnecessary things because I’m bored, to comparing myself to others, to the collecting of things I don’t need, and so on. It all started by looking at my jewelry box. I tend to wear maybe 15 or so pieces of jewelry on a regular basis, yet I have much, MUCH more than that. Some of it is heirloom items from family members, but a lot of it is just stuff collecting dust. I don’t want to do this anymore. I want to clean out and donate the things I THINK I need, and I want to do this everywhere in my life. I want simplicity in all things, from the things I keep on my house as well as what I spend my time on.
As for resolutions? I don’t really have those. I DO have some themes that I will continue to work on this year:
1) When it comes to exercise, I want to continue to challenge myself. I want to keep my weekly routine going and switch things up when I am bored.
2) When it comes to diet, I like limiting my carbs and sugars when I can, and splurging as little as possible. This has worked for me and I want to continue!
3) Something new that I want to try is to say YES more when I can. My default to anything new and different is always NO, so I hope to broaden my horizons a bit and say yes more!
4) I’d like to hustle more on my shampoo business and see where that can get me! I am truly passionate about this magic shampoo, and sharing it with the world is a huge goal of mine.
As for blogging goals? These are hard for me, as I go back and forth on how much time and money I want to spend here as time moves forward. I do know that I love writing and really enjoy the community here. A couple of long standing blogging goals include:
1) Post five days a week! Writing and posting on a regular schedule pushes me to be better, and I will continue this.
2) I’ve often gotten stressed over pushing content on social media (especially Instagram!) I want to worry less about this and just do what I can. Not killing it on Instagram is something that has consumed me more than it should.
3) I don’t want to compare myself to others, especially others that have been blogging for less time and seem to have found the secret to instant success. I am only one person with other things going on, and comparing my life to others’ is not worth it.
4) I want to do better commenting and replying to comments in the New Year. I slack off on this from time to time and I can see the results instantly.
Tell me, have you ever picked a word of the year? What would yours be?