Forever 21 jacket (similar); Free People tunic; Hunter boots.
You guys, winter hit us hard this weekend. We got two plus feet of snow in two days and it literally looks like a snow globe out there. It’s gorgeous! The only issue is that with the snow and below zero temps it has become a bit more tricky to get dressed in the morning. It got me thinking about how I figure out what to wear (without sacrificing style!), and thought I’d share some tips that I have found over the years that make winter dressing a little bit easier. Let’s do this!
1) I’m a big fan of a great faux fur eternity scarf paired with just about anything (mostly slouchy sweaters right now!) Target has a bunch out right now that are so cute! Add in a pair of skinny jeans and a fun jacket and I am off.
3) Something I really love doing is taking something that is typically a warm weather piece (denim shorts! a romper!), and pairing it with tights and a cozy sweater. I’ve done this with sundresses, too, and it is such fun departure from pants and a top. Fleece tights have been a game changer in my wardrobe (mine are from Target), and make wearing shorts or dresses bearable in the colder months. I also love wearing a chunky sweater at home with a pretty, lightweight sundress and leggings.
4) I’ve written a post about my love affair with faux fur jackets and how they jazz up a look with no effort. I look and feel like a teddy bear in this blush colored one from Forever 21! (Similar options here and here.) Also, hats in many colors are my best friend.
5) While I am definitely wearing a jacket over something like this now, I find that I can dress in just about anything once I get to where I am going and shed some layers. You all KNOW I adore this Free People cold shoulder sweater (though my shoulders DO get cold, ha), and find it looks pretty cute with a shearling or fur vest. Layers are the key to dressing this time of year, and fun details like cut out shoulders or a fun pattern (or two.)
Top (on major sale!); wearing Laura Gellar lip color in”Big Apple Red”
Tee; similar necklace; wearing Maybelline Color Sensational lip color in “Fuchsia Fever”
6) I tend to wear a more muted color palette this time of year, which can wash me out. The true secret for me RIGHT NOW is to wear a bright lip. Hot pink or red are my go to colors! Please don’t shy away from a bold lip, you would be surprised how much it brightens your face and finishes off a look. I apply mine almost like chapstick, I can’t live without it!
7) Here’s the deal on wearing ankle boots this time of year: while I can’t really get away with wearing them outside, I find that when I work I just wear my winter boots in and then slip these on once inside. I get to wear my cute boots (sans socks, they way I like it best!) all I want indoors (and my cute sweaters!), and not be cold. I would (and DO) wear outfits like this all winter long, I just obviously wear a heavy coat over it and bring footwear to change into.
8) This look is probably the closet to reality when I am out with the kids or not working. I’m obsessed with my Lands End tulip hemmed jacket (the pockets are fleece!), and it is really warm. I pair it with a bright hat (or one with pretty details), and I am super warm. I also bought these Lamo boots from QVC last winter and they are so comfortable. (I have a bright cobalt bus pair, too!) I think they are better quality than Ugg, personally, and are only a quarter of the price. I wear these with no socks and my feet are toasty warm.
9) I love mixing patterns and breaking up an all monotone look sometimes. I find that leopard goes with anything, as do stripes. Don’t be afraid to mix two patterns together that have similar tones in them! (The black in the plaid and the black in my leopard jacket are the similar color here;) Also know that any black and white pattern goes with any other pattern. I promise! The first time you do this you will feel CRAZY, but it gets easier each time you do it.
10) Lastly, never underestimate the power of a great leopard jacket. I get complimented on mine almost every time I wear it! (Similar option here.) It looks great over any pattern, as well as all black looks. I love it best over the most casual of looks, too, because it adds that certain something that says I tried when getting dresses, something I strive to do each day!