This dress caught my eye in Target a couple of months ago and I knew I had to have it. I’m a sucker for striped ANYTHING, and the off the shoulder aspect of it all made it even better. There’s something so romantic and whimsical about a full skirted dress or skirt, it makes me feel very feminine and French (if you will), with the graphic stripes and red lips (I finally broke down and bought Nars’ ‘Heat Wave’, it’s such a great orange-y/red.) I don’t always go for the full on girly looks these days, I tend to gravitate for an edgier look (think lots of back, band tees, and ankle boots!), but this dress! I mean, I had to.
On to June, and some goals! June for my family is full of end of school celebrations, lots of baseball and softball games, and the beginning of my husband’s busiest work season (he flies helicopters for the Coast Guard.) We go between having lots of fun family time together, to lots of times where he is gone and it is just the kids and I. Here are some goals of mine for the upcoming month:
1) I have been enjoying learning more about flexible dieting and eating a controlled amount of protein, carbs, and fat. I find that when I eat what I should in the right amounts (macro counting), I am full for a really long time. I eat a lot of chicken and avocado, I drink a protein shake each morning, and each day I either get a nice big glass of wine, or a handful of yummy chocolate. I have lost a couple of pounds, but the true goal is to lose fat and replace it with muscle, so the weight loss is a side benefit. My goal is to further refine my macro ratios (I’m still not sure my numbers are right), and stick to one cheat meal a week (which is HARD in the summer!)
2) There is a drive in movie theater near us and we have been meaning to go for three years! The problem? The sun doesn’t set until about 10-10:30, so bringing the whole family means a really LATE night.
3) Continue to coach my Monat team to reaching THEIR goals, and working on reaching my own. I’ve written before about the Monat opportunity, but I can’t stress enough how life changing it has been for me. I wake up each day excited to wash my hair, thrilled to share this shampoo with others, and so giddy about the future and the dreams I have for my family and I. (You can see my dream board HERE.)
4) Usually I make a statement each month on whether I will shop or not (shopping hiatuses are good every once in awhile!), but this month I am not doing that. Obviously I have more clothes than I need, but I really enjoy shopping and having new things, and I have never shopped in a way that damages our financial life. Sometimes I save up for one expensive pair of jeans and that is all I get, and sometimes I buy five cheap shirts from Target and a couple of pairs of cheap sandals. Balance is key!
It’s easy to look at people from the outside and feel that they shop too much or too little, or judge their purchases and spending habits, but for every person that has an issue and shops with money they don’t have, there are lots of people who do so responsibly. I wrote a post a long time ago about how our family deals with finances, and the same stands today. We do not have credit cards, we pay for everything in our home in cash (except for our new car, which we will pay off early!), and there is never a moment that money is not going into savings, our children’s college accounts, or our retirement. Money that is left over is for fun. Dinner’s out, vacations, shopping, etc. Sometimes it is more, sometimes it is less, but money spent on clothes, makeup, and other fun things is never something spent to the detriment of our real goals.
5) Lastly, I want to go with the flow this month. I want to go to the beach with my kids, grill out on the back deck with my family, hang out with friends, just basically do what we feel like. After baseball and softball is over we take the Summer off from activities. Life gets so busy and planned during the school year that I want us to be as free as possible in the next couple of months. Freedom and laziness come to mind for June, and I plan to fully embrace that.
Tell me, what are some of your goals for June?