I was chatting with a friend the other day about items I will splurge on and what I’m super cheap with, and the real truth is, I have no rule about what I splurge or save on! I buy what I like, and if I buy something expensive it is often after months and months of comparison shopping and knowing what I will wear over and over again, and what I won’t. I have a few really nice things that I love, and a ton of really inexpensive things that I equally adore.
Here are 3 things I splurge on that I’ve never regretted:
1) Something that took me awhile to discover, but I’m so glad I did, is that nice sunglasses are worth it. I used to always buy the cheap ones from Target, but once I put on a nice pair and saw how much more sun they blocked (ha!), I never went back. I currently have three pairs of RayBan’s that I rotate through and I love them. I used to worry that I would lose them or break them like I would my cheaper pairs, but I find I take care of them better because I KNOW how expensive they were. Who knew?
2) I really enjoy a beautiful handbag. I used to have a million cheap ones and just rotate through those (Target does have some off the best cheap ones, though!), but now I like to have a handful of neutral/quality bags that I switch between. My larger totes are still inexpensive, but my everyday handbags and cross body bags, are something I cherish. I tend to get one for my birthday and at Christmas, it is a gift that I pick out and purchase, and it makes me so happy! They were worth every penny. My faves are this Rebecca Minkoff crossbody, this Rebecca Minkoff Satchel, and this Kate Spade bag (in pink.)
3) I rarely buy expensive clothing items, but these overalls above were a huge splurge for me. The price is ridiculous, I get it (ha), but I wear these all the time and they are amazing. They are a huge staple in my closet and when I wear them I feel instantly fun and stylish.
And 2 things I splurged on that I DID regret:
I rarely have a lot of regret over expensive purchases because I think more about them before buying. I do regret cheaper purchases a lot more (maybe because I grab them quickly while out and about?) I try to be really mindful about what I am buying and that has gotten better for me over the years.
1) I bought a pair of fringe heels (similar) last year after seeing them on a ton of blogs and DYING over them. I got them on major sale, but they were still a TON of money. I’ve worn them once, mostly because my life doesn’t call for fringe heels that often. Now Target has the same style for much, much less and I die every time I see them. So no, expensive novelty shoes are not worth it for me.
Though these fringe boots were a spurge and worth every penny!
2) Staying on the shoe train here, last Summer I got a pair of black Birkenstock’s, and barely wore them. I have a tan pair as well that I do wear often and love, so the black just don’t really work. Now that I think about it, they were trending in the blog world last year and that is why I bought them, so OBVIOUSLY that backfires on me;)
Tell me, what is the best thing you’ve splurged on? The worst?