We are officially ONE WEEK away from Christmas, and if you are like me, you struggle to really be able to relax right about now. I find that in years past, doing all the things for all the people this time of year really makes you want to fast forward to December 26th so you can breathe, am I right?
This year I was determined to not feel this way. I’ve been working on a lot of personal stuff and dealing with WHY I feel so overwhelmed has been a game changer. This year, finally, I have felt peace and more of the magic of the season. It honestly feels amazing to just let go of most of what has worried me in the past. Let’s dive into what has been working for me (because I truly want the same for YOU. You deserve that!)
- This year I let go of the control and the worry. I mean, I still make lists and cross off items one by one, but the difference is I have let go of stressing over getting it done. Because honestly? It always gets done, no matter how much I panic. So I wrote out my lists and figured things out when I could. Some days I wasn’t feeling it, so I didn’t fight that. I took those days to just rest and relax and do the bare minimum required. Other days I was ON, so those days I killed it by doing all the things. The trick was giving up the guilt on the days I wasn’t doing stuff, because the word “should” was really killing my vibe. Why swim upstream and fight the current? It just exhausts and wears you out. Some days you feel like a warrior, and some days you just don’t. The key is letting go on those “off” days and doing the bare minimum that you need to do (I mean, the kids still wake up and need to be cared for, lol.)
- Go ahead and buy yourself those yummy flannel Christmas pajamas, and get that decadent coffee creamer that has 3,456 calories in it, and just bask in the glory of this combo.
- Once you have those pajamas on, sit in your darkened living room with just the light of the Christmas tree, and really look around. Don’t think, don’t over analyze your to do list. Just sit and breathe in this moment. Bonus if you are watching a Christmas movie with your kids and you just watch their faces all lit up by the glow of the tree, and REALLY SEE them and the magic right now.
- Wake up early, before anyone else in your house, and take some time for you. I like to journal and I’m currently doing this 40 day project, and I meditate. This simple 30 minutes of time of silence will bring you more peace than any other activity. I find that if I don’t I feel lost and frazzled and frantic, so I make a point to take this time for me, always. You’d be amazed by the difference you see in your own sense of peace and serenity. Bonus points if you read this book (my fave) and just follow the simple steps in your daily life.
- Do something extra for you. Whether it’s a bath at the end of the day, time for a manicure and pedicure (I finally got one last week and it was EVERYTHING), or 10 minutes locked in your bedroom reading a romance novel, just give yourself permission to take care of yourself. Remember, you can’t help others if you don’t help yourself. So take a second and brainstorm how you can gift yourself a bit of time to do what recharges and refreshes your spirit.
So tell me, what are you going to do for YOU this week?
P.S. When all else fails, never underestimate a healthy pour of Bailey’s in your coffee on Christmas morning at 7am;)