Hey friends! A couple of weeks ago I did a step by step daily makeup tutorial over on Instastories, and figured I should make it a blog post so it could be accessed easier. I love, love, LOVE doing stories daily, you guys are the best community over there and sharing the parts of my life that you ask about has been so much fun. I am still dedicated to doing at least 2 blog posts a week, though, because as much as I love video, there is something to be said about the written word and posts that can be bookmarked and referenced! I am still a die hard, long term blog reader, is anyone else? Do you love videos more, or do you still read blogs? Or both!
But I digress, as usual, LOL.
On to makeup and skincare! So I am someone that loves makeup and all that jazz, but I don’t like to wear a ton of it. I enjoy makeup tutorials and walking through Ulta to see what is new, and I also watch a lot of makeup presentations on QVC! I just love to learn about new products, read reviews, and find new ways to apply my makeup. I definitely have a set look that I stick to 99% of the time, and I rarely do more than that. I’ll detail for you my 2 minute ‘most basic’ look, and then do my more involved look for you. Both are quick and anyone can do it, I promise! Let’s get started.
I have this routine saved in my Instagram highlights under Skincare/Makeup routine if you’d like to see it live and in action!
Scroll to the bottom of the post for more details on each product and where to buy!
Bare Minimum face
- My first step always, is to moisturize. I use CeraVe’s AM moisiturizer only during the daytime in the summer, as it is really humid here and if I use my typica oils as moisturizers, my makeup will just slide off. I save my heavier moisturizers for when I am going to the gym and before bed.
- Next is a new thing for me, I use this primer. It is the key to not having my eyeliner and makeup “slide off” this time of year! I bought this primer at Target and it does the job. When it runs out I will be trying something else just to compare. But for the price, it works! Anyone have a fave that they recommend?
- No matter what, I always do my brows. I use the Elf brow pencil in taupe and fill in my brows. I like a bolder brow and feel naked without them filled in!
- Next I use this eyeliner to smudge on my top lashes, and on my bottom lashes for definition. I then use this mascara on my top lashes only. I feel naked without eyeliner, too! I even wear it to the gym, ha. I just feel better with it on.
- Last, I use this lipgloss o just finish off my look.
Five minute face
- It starts with moisturizer, primer, and brows like above.
- I rarely wear any type of foundation or concealer as I prefer my skin without it, but if I need a little coverage I like this serum foundation applied with a brush. I shake the bottle and put two drops on the brush and just buff it into my skin. It is really lightweight and it feels like I am wearing nothing. I also love this CC cream, it covers so much and can be applied with your fingers. When I run out of my Bare Minerals I will repurchase the It Cosmetics one. I suggest going into Ulta or Sephora and getting color matched to find your perfect shade.
- Sometimes when I am feeling fancy I’ll apply some eyeshadow. I have an older palette, but this palette is very similar! I use the rosy bronze color on my eyelids for a little definition. Tip! You can use bronzer as an eyeshadow, it gives good depth on the eylid and is a great hack. I do this a lot. This palette has a great highlighter and bronzer in it.
- I love the look of a winged liner on my top lid. I recently purchased this liquid eyeliner (I use the color black) and love it! I typically only line the far 1/4 part of my top eyelid, I feel it keeps my eyes looking more “open.” You can watch my stories (link above) for more details on how I do this! Then I smudge this eyeliner on my bottom lashes, I love this eyelner because it isn’t a harsh line, it just looks perfectly smudged.
- I have used this It Cosmetics mascara for years, it is my absolute favorite. It makes me lashes look so thick and long, and doesn’t flake ot smudge. I usually buy them from QVC because I can buy two at a time for the price of one.
- Next I will apply some blush for a little color. Sometimes I will sub in bronzer instead. I have no idea how to contour or do anything really spectacualr here lol. I just apply it with a brush and sweep it up over my temples and on the apples of my cheeks, and just really blend it in. Tip: always tap the brush after you swirl it in the blush/bronzer so that the extra product comes off. Less is more here, always!
- This next step is new to me, but it is fun. I use this spray and lightly spray a brush, then I tap it in this highlighter and brush it on my cheeks and tamples, It gives a gorgeous, glowy look to my skin and I feel all lit up when I do it! I also take a little highlighter and apply it to the inner corners of my eyes to brighten those up as well.
- Lastly, I apply this lipstick in the color Mehr, and I’ll layer it with my Mac liner in the color Whirl on top of it. This is my favorite lipstick color for day and night, it is just a gorgeous pink/mauve/brown color. I wear it 95% of the time!