I’ve had this dress in my closet for about six months or so, it’s been waiting for that perfect storm of a date night/fancy event/anything that doesn’t involve my normal every day life, and CLEARLY that day never arrived. It’s a leather, a line style dress, that isn’t something I would ever buy for myself, but I love the thought of it. It’s lady-like and a bit edgy, and I decided it was time to just wear the darn thing! I had to run some errands with my kids, and since I was standing in my closet waiting for something to jump out at me and scream “wear this!” anyway, I decided to throw it on with boots and simple jewelry. I didn’t want it to look too done, or Saturday night-ish, if you know what I mean, so I refrained from adding any crazy extras and wore it as it was.
I pumped gas in it,
and wandered through Kohl’s with the kids,
and picked up a few things at the grocery store.
What I found was this: You CAN wear a leather dress made for a night out, on a Saturday morning around 10am, as long as you wear it like you mean it. I’ve learned this lesson before, of course, because most of my life revolves around wearing something somewhat inappropriate for my life, because it makes me happy to wear it. I wanted to wear something I had been saving for a special occasion, because I liked it and it felt right. Shouldn’t getting dressed always be like that?
P.S Today the friends of A Night Owl are joining up to bring you an amazing $100 Target Gift Card Giveaway! And we all KNOW you love Target, so what are you waiting for?
Enter today via the Rafflecopter form below! Open in the USA and Canada. Ends at 11:59pm EST on Sunday, June 22nd, 2014.
I’ve had the honor of working with some really awesome women lately, and recently had my look summed up in three words…
Stylish, Easy, On-trend
Isn’t it fun sometimes to get an outside perspective of what others think of you? In my own head I’m living life day by day and get stuck comparing myself to others, so it’s fun to hear that what I’m projecting out in the world is exactly what I want you to see.
On that note, I wanted to share with you this look I wore last week. It’s not flashy, or complicated, but it’s a great barometer of how I dress when I’m with my kids. I need to be comfortable and feel good about what I’m wearing.
I want to look effortless, and as Hilary Rushford says, be remarkable. Which means wearing something worth remarking on. (She’s amazing, by the way. Make sure you are a part of her Honor Society!)
Five things about this look:
1) This tee is the softest thing I own. I bought an XL and it is slouchy and lightweight and sits well on the body. It floats and doesn’t cling and cost $5. Amen.
2) This fringe necklace is one of my fave summer accessories. I always get compliments when I wear it and it makes me happy. I wish I had bought it in more colors!
3) These boots. Sometimes the most boring things to buy are the most versatile, hmmm? I hemmed and hawed over them forever and now I’m glad I finally bit the bullet and purchased them.
4) The pants. Not too low rise, not to high. Pale, icy blue in color and just the right amount of stretch. ( I also cut off all the legs of my pants at the ankle and wash them for the perfect amount of fray!)
5) As outfits go, I realize this isn’t a rule breaker. It’s basic and easy and had just a small amount of intrigue via the accessories. It’s me in a nutshell, at my most basic core, and I feel good in it.
Tell me, what is your favorite, go to look?
Shop this look: