I’m always curious how other people eat and manage their weight via diet and exercise. I’m a big fan of taking the time to care for myself this way, and luckily I have had success managing my health through what I eat and how I work out. I do have a lot of willpower when I set my mind to something, and since it is important to me to look (and feel) my best, watching what I eat is where I generally start.
Here is what an IDEAL eating day looks like for me (and some of the things I cheat on as well!)
Breakfast: I am not a big breakfast eater and don’t really like eating first thing in the morning. I DO always have two cups of coffee in the morning, with two tablespoons each vanilla almond milk creamer and two Splenda’s in each cup. I love my coffee and could never give it up or take away the sweetness of it! I also grab a handful of almonds as I’m going out the door to bring my kids to school (about an 1/8th of a cup), and also eat a cheese stick of I think to grab it.
I’ve mentioned before that I tend to find meals that I like and eat the same thing consistently for months. This works for me for breakfast and lunch and I like the thought that I always know what I am going to eat. Right now I enjoy eating low carb/low sugar meals for at least two meals, and four days a week I try to do this for all meals.
Lunch: I have been on the kick lately of roasting veggies in the oven (30 minutes at 350 degrees, with a little olive oil and salt and pepper), and grilling up two Dr. Praeger’s veggie burgers to eat with it. I love the Kale and California veggie burgers, as well as the Broccoli and Spinach ones. They are in the organic freezer aisle and have all recognizable ingredients. I eat them with either roasted asparagus, broccoli, kale, or peppers and cherry tomatoes.
Snacks: I am not a huge snacker. I can be happy grabbing a coconut La Croix or a handful of carrots, or drinking a Chai Latte that I brew in my Keurig. I tend to eat only at meals, and rarely snack on anything in the day or after dinner. I’d rather save my calories for WINE. Ha.
Dinner: During the week I try to cook things that I can modify for myself and let my kids and husband add onto if they’d like (they’re not into low carb!) I cook a lot of chicken, pork, burgers (I eat it bun less), or make soups that I can throw a grilled cheese with for them. I feel like I eat a ton of roasted veggies right now as my side and usually make them rice or potatoes or something more starchy that I stay away from. Last night I made roasted pork loin with roasted root veggies, and rice on the side (I ate the pork and the veggies, with no rice or potatoes…BOOOO;)
Dessert: If I eat something sweet after dinner, it is typically something small like a square of chocolate or a handful of chocolate chips. I’d rather have wine, though, so save up for a glass of that to splurge on (which I measure out so I don’t go overboard, because mama likes to pour BIG glasses!), or have a chai latte after dinner if I didn’t have one earlier. I rarely have all of these things in one night, I try to pick one and wine almost always wins. I DO try to have wine only 2-3 times a week because it adds up over time calorie wise, which is NO FUN.
Exceptions: The above ideal eating day is something I try to stick religiously to about four days a week, and on the weekends I give myself a little leeway. We go out to eat about twice a week and I mainly order salads or soups if I can, and splurge on a couple of bites of an appetizer if I want. I try to say no to treats and desserts as much as I can, this gets hard during the holidays and at kid birthday parties, but I always feel better when I say no. On Sunday nights I tend to make a yummy pasta dish or something like that that I eat with my family, but try to limit my portion size (something I’m not good at!) I also cannot say no to cinnamon and sugar cider donuts whilst apple picking, or peanut butter cups from my kids’ Halloween bags!
I also use My Fitness Pal to track my calories and eating, and work out 3 days a week either at the gym or with Beachbody workouts at home (love Insanity and P90X3 the best!) I really try my best to eat well about 80% of the time and be mindful of not going TOO overboard the other 20%.
Tell me, how to you watch what you eat?